How Do Post-Divorce Modifications Work?

Whether you and your spouse reach a divorce settlement through working with a mediator or have your case litigated in court, once it is finalized, the divorce decree becomes an order of the court. You and your ex are obligated to comply with the terms of the decree or face contempt of court.

However, if the terms of your divorce are no longer working for your current living situation, you can request a post-divorce modification to improve things. At Reese-Beisbier & Associates, P.C., our attorneys can review your divorce orders and help you draft a modification.

What Can Be Changed With A Post-Divorce Modification?

In Georgia, individuals can request post-divorce modifications related to three areas:

One element of a divorce decree that cannot be modified after the process has been finalized is the section on property division. To change the distribution of assets, the divorce decree itself will have to be amended, and that is very difficult.

Special Circumstances? We Can Help You Obtain A Modification

If you find yourself in conditions where a modification is necessary, do not hesitate to reach out to our lawyers for help. We understand the ins and outs of the modification process and can assist you through the process.

Some special situations in which you may want to consider a post-divorce modification include:

  • You or your ex is relocating out of state or far enough away in-state such that it makes your current custody/visitation schedule obsolete.
  • One of your children, age 14 or older, requested a change in custody.

Our firm focuses on mediated solutions and advocating for the rights of our clients. We can help you craft a modification that satisfies your needs and that of your children. If your ex is not reasonable in negotiations, our highly respected team of litigators will protect your interests in court.

It Is Never Too Late To Change Your Divorce Order

Contact us today to discover how a post-divorce modification might benefit your family. Call us at our office in Cumming at 678-947-2988 or email us via our online intake form.